The Housing Application Process
Incoming Fall 2016 Freshmen
Once you have been admitted to UA and paid the Freshman Enrollment Deposit, you are eligible to apply for housing (beginning October 1, 2015 at noon CDT). Access to online room selection is based primarily on housing application date, so the earlier you apply for housing, the more room choices you will have! Some important deadlines to consider:
- Students who apply for housing between October 1, 2015 and February 1, 2016, will be able to select their own room online during room selection in the spring. Students who apply for housing on or after February 2, 2016, will be assigned by HRC staff.
- Freshmen with a medical need that affects their housing should submit their request, along with medical documentation from a physician, by March 1, 2016. HRC may not be able to accommodate requests for medical accommodations made after that date.
The housing application is a multi-step process. To ensure that you have completed your housing application, be sure to do the following:
- Agree to, or electronically "sign," the housing contract. To do this, you will read the contract and then enter your campus-wide identification number (CWID). This signifies that you agree to the terms of the contract.
- Pay the $300.00 housing deposit ($25.00 non-refundable application fee and $275.00 prepayment).Please note, if your Freshman Enrollment Deposit is waived by Undergraduate Admissions, you will only be charged the $25.00 housing application fee; your $275.00 prepayment will be waived. This will happen automatically; you do not have to contact HRC to request a waiver, if your FED has been waived.
- Your application is not complete until you have submitted the contract and deposit and you click on "Save & Continue" on the deposit receipt page.
If you do not attend UA, you may cancel your housing application with Housing and Residential Communities prior to May 1, 2016, and you will receive a full refund of your $275.00 prepayment. If you cancel between May 2 and June 1, 2016, you will receive a refund of $175.00. To submit a contract cancellation, please fill out the online form.
Freshman Room Selection
Incoming freshmen who apply for housing for fall between October 1 and February 1 will be able to select their residence hall room online, beginning in spring 2016. A student's initial date to select a room is determined by his/her housing application date. The complete room selection schedule, as well as further information about the room selection process, will be posted on the HRC website, and emailed to students (using their Crimson email address), in early spring. Students with later housing application dates, who are confirmed roommate choices of students with earlier dates, can be pulled into rooms during the online room selection process by their confirmed roommates, as long as space permits. Students who do not select a room online will receive an assignment made by HRC assignments staff.
Please note: Student-athletes assigned to housing by their coaches, as well as students in select living-learning communities (the German House, the Mallet Assembly, and Small Groups housing) will be assigned to housing by HRC assignments staff.
Transfer Students and Current UA Undergraduate Students
Due to the tremendous demand, we do not expect to be able to accept new applications for on-campus housing from transfer students or UA students not currently living in on-campus housing for Fall 2015. To assist you in your search for off-campus housing, please visit the off-campus section of our website at http://offcampushousing.ua.edu. If you wish to leave your contact information in the event that housing becomes available you may do so by filling out the online contact information form here. (NOTE: It could be June or July before we will know if any housing will be available)
Incoming Spring 2016 Freshmen
The application for housing for "Spring 2016 only" is available beginning on November 2, 2015 at noon Central Standard Time. Incoming freshmen do not have to pay the Freshman Enrollment Deposit for the spring term, so that step is not required to access the spring housing application and students are able to apply for spring housing as soon as they are admitted to the university. All students enrolled in classes for the spring term are eligible to apply for housing for the spring only term.
Summer 2016 Housing
The application for Summer 2016 will be available in March 2016. To complete the summer application, you must submit your contract and the $100.00 deposit. The summer application is a separate application, and freshmen and returning students who apply for summer must also submit an application for the fall semester if attending UA for the fall.
Online Living-Learning Community Application
Blount Living-Learning Community
If you are applying for the Blount Living-Learning Community, please apply using the Blount program application.
Honors College Community
If you are applying for the Honors College Community, please apply to the Honors College. Students who wish to live in Honors Housing must apply to be admitted by the Honors College in order to select a space in Honors Housing during room selection.
Parker-Adams Arts & Sciences Freshman Living-Learning Community
If you are applying to the Parker-Adams Arts & Sciences Freshman Living-Learning Community, please complete the form located at http://parkeradams.as.ua.edu. Room assignments for students participating in the Parker-Adams program in Harris Hall will be made by HRC staff before freshman room selection begins in the spring.
Other Living-Learning Communities
If you would like to view more information about other living-learning community residence halls, you can do this by going to the living-learning community descriptions page.