General FAQ

Housing Application Process

Do all freshmen have to live on campus?

Due to the many social and academic benefits associated with living on campus, all incoming freshmen are expected to live on campus, unless exempt from this requirement. You can learn more about the Freshman Residency Program and the exemption process HERE.

Back to top

As an incoming freshman, how do I apply for housing for the 2015/2016 academic year?

The online housing application is available beginning at 12:00 noon CDT on October 1, 2015. You must submit a complete application, including the housing contract and the $300.00 deposit ($25.00 application fee and $275.00 housing prepayment) in order for Housing and Residential Communities to receive your application and in order for you to be eligible for on campus housing. You will receive email notification beginning in February regarding how you will receive your housing assignment. Please note, your official email address as an incoming freshman is your Crimson email, so HRC will communicate with you using this email address. Please be sure to check it regularly.

Back to top

Where do I find the online application?

To apply for housing, click here and log in, using the user name and password assigned by Undergraduate Admissions.

Back to top

When should I submit my housing application?

You are able to apply for housing once you are admitted to the University and have paid the Freshman Enrollment Deposit. The earlier that you apply for housing, the more housing options you will have, as access to online room selection and housing assignment by HRC staff are based primarily on when a student completes their housing application. Students who participate in Freshman Room Selection (FRS) can pull in confirmed roommate choices who are not eligible for FRS, if space is available. Incoming freshmen who apply for housing by February 1 will be eligible to select their own rooms online, beginning in early May. Students who apply for housing after February 1 will be assigned by HRC staff, taking into consideration their housing preferences, as long as space permits, beginning in mid-May, based on the date the housing application is completed. Students who apply later may not receive a housing assignment until the late spring or summer.

Back to top

Is there a deposit due with my application?

A $300 deposit is due with your housing application. This includes a $25.00 non-refundable application fee and a $275.00 prepayment. If you do not attend UA and cancel your housing application by May 1, 2016, you will receive a refund of $275.00. If you cancel your housing by June 1, you will receive a refund of $175.00. To cancel your housing application, you must submit a cancellation request through the HRC website.

Back to top

Housing Assignments

What should I do if I need special housing accommodations?

Complete information about housing-related medical requests can be found here.

Back to top

How will I receive a housing assignment?

Students who participate in Freshman Room Selection (FRS) can select their room in early May. Students who are eligible for FRS but do not participate or students who are not eligible for FRS will be assigned by HRC staff in order of when they completed their housing application. Assignments will be made beginning in late May through the summer. Please note, students with application dates of June 1 or later will likely not receive their housing assignments until late July or early August. Staff who assign students will take into consideration roommate preferences and room style choices, as long as space permits.

Back to top

When does freshmen room selection begin?

Incoming freshmen who apply for housing by February 1, 2016, will be able to select their own rooms online. Room selection will begin in early May. Students will be assigned specific dates and times to access room selection, based on their housing application completion date. More information will be available on the HRC website after January 1 and will be emailed to students using their Crimson email accounts.

Back to top

Can I live with the roommate of my choice during my freshman year?

You may be able to, if you and your preferred roommate are eligible for the same community. For example, a student in the Honors College, who wants to live in Honors Housing, will need to select a roommate who is also eligible for Honors Housing. Students who are looking for potential roommates may create a profile on their housing application and make it available for other students to view, and students may search the profiles of other students through the housing application. Students eligible to select their room online will be able to pull in confirmed roommates to their room if the student is eligible to live in that residence hall and space is available. Students that apply after February 1 that will be assigned by HRC staff may be assigned with their requested roommate, provided that space is available. 

Back to top

Can I live anywhere on campus during my freshman year?

You will be eligible for certain residence halls based upon your freshman status, your gender, and any living-learning community participation. For example, you must be a male student in the College of Engineering in order to be eligible to live in Bryant Hall. Students must be admitted to the Honors College in order to live in Honors Housing. Other living-learning communities are connected to other residence halls. Please note, different residence halls have different rates. Please check the projected rates for housing on the HRC website as you consider your choices. Fall 2016 rates will be available in Spring 2016.

Back to top

Does my choice of housing my freshman year affect my housing after that?

No, however gender, living-learning community participation, and rank may impact your eligibility for certain spaces on campus. More information will be available during the recontracting process.

Back to top

What is a living-learning community?

Living-learning communities connect a student's academic interests with his/her living environment, providing a supportive environment in which residents have a shared college, major, or academic program. There are many different living-learning communities at UA, with varying requirements for admission and different expectations for participants. Please note, participants in some living-learning communities will be assigned by the HRC assignments staff and require application to, and acceptance by, the program before assignment can be made.

Back to top

What is honors housing?

Honors Housing (located in Ridgecrest South, East and West, Blount, Paty and Somerville) is a living option available to students in the Honors College. Faculty-in-Residence live in Honors Housing and interact with residents. There is also programming offered with Honors students' interests and needs in mind. Honors housing is an option for students in the Honors College, but is not a requirement of Honors College students and is not guaranteed. Interested students can select space there, or receive assignment to Honors Housing, as space permits. In order to live in Honors Housing, all suitemates must be eligible for the community. Non-Honors College participants cannot be pulled in as roommates.

Back to top

Can I move into honors housing after my freshman year?

Because of the growth in the Honors College and the demand for Honors Housing from incoming freshmen, according to current HRC policy, only current residents and incoming freshmen in the Honors College can select a space in honors housing. Please keep that in mind as you select your housing for your freshman year.

Back to top

Can I move anywhere I want on campus after my freshman year?

You will have many choices as a sophomore and above, but these will be determined, in part, by gender and living-learning community participation. The following residence halls are currently for freshmen only: Bryant, Harris and Somerville. You also have the ability to move off campus beginning as a sophomore.

Back to top

Where should I live if I need housing over break periods? Do any residence halls remain open?

If you know that you will need housing during periods during which the University closes, you may want to consider living in Burke East or West, Parham Hall, the Highlands or Bryce Lawn. These residence halls do not close during break periods and are available to incoming freshmen. Residence halls do not close during Fall Break or Thanksgiving Break, but other residence halls do close during Winter Break and Spring Break.

Back to top

Housing after Freshman Year

Are students guaranteed housing after their freshman year?

No. Due to the high demand for housing, not all students who want to live on campus will be able to, and students are not guaranteed housing after their freshman year. Exceptions include students who must live on campus, e.g., students with housing scholarships that can only be used in campus housing. These students must still meet all HRC housing application deadlines in order to be eligible for housing. HRC provides extensive resources and assistance for students who are moving off campus, in order to help them make good decisions about their living situations.

Back to top

Housing Cancellation Process

What if I apply for housing and decide not to attend UA?

If you do not attend the University, you can receive a refund of your $275.00 prepayment by canceling with Housing and Residential Communities by May 1, 2016. Students who cancel their housing between May 2 and June 1 will receive a refund of $175.00. To submit a cancellation request, please fill out the form online. Because the prepayment is refundable, you are strongly urged to apply for housing, even if you have not made your final decision regarding the school you will attend. You can maximize your housing choices by applying for housing earlier. In order to ensure that you receive a refund, if eligible, please cancel with Housing and Residential Communities and not just Undergraduate Admissions. Please note, after the cancellation deadline, your housing contract will be cancelled only if you do not attend UA or if you receive an exemption. It will not be cancelled in order for you to live in a sorority or fraternity housing or in an off-campus apartment.

Back to top

Mail and Packages

How can I receive mail and packages when I live on campus?

For the safety and security of HRC residents, mail and packages are not delivered directly to the residence halls. All deliveries are made to the Ferguson Mail Center, operated by the Campus Mail Service.

The Ferguson Mail Center is now open.

Students do not need to rent a mailbox to receive packages on campus. For more information, please visit the Ferguson Mail Center webpage, or call Campus Mail Service at (205)348-MAIL.

Back to top