Fire Safety Tips
These tips are intended as a guide. For more information, contact the Tuscaloosa Fire Department at 205-349-0164 or the Northport Fire Department at 205-333-3020.
- Call 911 for fire emergencies. Post emergency response numbers by all phones.
- Make sure you have a fire escape plan and keep exit routes clear.
- You should have two escape routes from each room, usually a window and a door.
- Windows and doors should open easily. Ask the Landlord to fix them if they don't.
- You should leave the building immediately if you suspect a fire.
- If caught in a fire, stay low to the ground to avoid asphyxiation.
- Use a damp cloth to cover your nose and mouth.
- Feel the door, if it is hot, do not open it. Look for another exit from the room. If the door is not hot, open it slowly.
- Get yourself out first, then use a cell phone or neighbors phone to call for help.
- Don't try to put the fire out yourself. Call for help.
- Remember - STOP, DROP and ROLL if you catch fire.
- Never go back inside a burning building.
- Test smoke detectors once a month.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detector twice a year. You can remember to do this by changing them when the time changes in the fall and spring.
- Smoke detectors should be located in or near each bedroom and in the living area.
- It is a good idea to never smoke inside and never smoke in bed.
- Run cigarettes and cigar butts under water before putting in the trash.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Don't leave the kitchen with food cooking in the oven or on the stove.
- Make sure loose clothing that could touch a burner and catch fire is tucked away.
- Keep things that could burn such as potholders, plastic, containers, paper products and dish towels away from the cook top and elements.
- Turn the oven and/or stove off when you finish cooking.
- Turn off and unplug small appliances after using them (toasters, coffee makers).
- Don't leave a grill unattended while grilling and never use a grill in an unventilated area.
- Make sure the grill is located at least three feet away from anything combustible.
- Only use lighter fluid designated for use with charcoal grills.
- Make sure coals are completely out before discarding them.
- If using a gas grill, make sure the lines are securely attached and turn off the gas when you finish grilling.
- Never leave burning candles or incense unattended.
- Use candle holders that are stable and made of glass or metal.
- Make sure candles are out completely before you leave the room.
- Place candles where they won't be knocked over.
- If you use space heaters, keep them at least three feet from anything that could catch on fire.
- Turn the space heater off when you leave the room, go to bed, leave the house, etc..
- Have central heating systems inspected and cleaned annually before using.
- Have chimneys inspected annually and cleaned if needed before using.
- Keep things that could catch on fire away from the fireplace.
- Use a metal or glass screen in front of the fireplace.
- Make sure extension cords are in good condition.
- Never run extension cords under rugs or over a doorway.
- Never let furniture sit on top of an extension cord.
- Never hook an extension cord to a nail or tie a knot in a cord.
- Always use the proper size extension cord.
- If breaker is tripped, find out why and remove appliances that are causing the breaker to trip.
- Make sure the correct size fuse is used in each socket in the fuse box.
- Make sure the computer, TV, stereo, refrigerator, etc. are well ventilated and plugged into a surge protector.
- Use the correct wattage light bulbs in lamps and light fixtures.
- All outlets should be covered by faceplates.
- Store flammable materials in safety cans, outside, away from heat sources.
- Never fill a hot lawn mower with gasoline. Allow the motor to cool first.
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed near bedrooms.
- Keep the garage, attic, closets and yard free of clutter (papers, empty boxes, etc.)