Moving Out of Residence Halls
The residence halls will close for the summer at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 4. Graduating seniors have until 6 p.m. to move out.
Remember to remove ALL of your belongings and check out of your room with your RA! Abandoned property will not be kept after 30 days following your checkout.
You must check out with an RA! Both you and your RA will go through your completely empty room, noting any problems and discrepancies between the opening condition of your room and the check-out condition. You will both sign the Room Condition Report and you will give your keys directly to the RA. This should cut down on lost keys and unnecessary charges for you during the summer. Be sure to attend floor meetings in April to get updated information from your RA about checking out of your residence hall.
NOTE: If you do not check out properly with your RA you may be charged fees that could have been avoided. Your RA does not assess damage charges, so you will be contacted over the summer by HRC if necessary.
Your RA will post available times for check out appointments. Please sign up for an appointment at least 24 hours in advance of your projected departure. If you can't check out during any of these times, please check with other staff in the building or your community's front desk.
To avoid charges you must:
- Take all of your belongings.
- All drawers and closets should be completely empty.
- The floor must be cleaned and vacuumed/swept/mopped. Wipe down the bathrooms and kitchen in any suite-style rooms.
- All trash must be taken out.
- Microfridge/refrigerator must be emptied, cleaned and dry. Microfridges should also be defrosted.
- The beds must be unbunked (if applicable).
- Remove everything from the floors, walls, ceiling, etc.
- Unplug all electrical appliances, turn the lights off, lock the windows and shut the blinds.
- Leave Heat/AC unit turned on low.
- Check out with your RA once your belongings have been removed (be sure to lock your door and turn in your keys).
Things to Remember:
- Don't forget your bike. Unclaimed bikes are collected and sold at auction.
- Give and Go program will allow you to donate any unwanted items. Note that there will be food and clothing collection points in the area and on campus - contact your RA for details.
- Please use the area near the dumpsters to discard large furniture and other items.
- Keep your eyes open for postings of further check out information.
- Have an awesome summer!! Contact your RA or Community Director if you have any questions.
- You will not have access to your room after you turn in your keys.
Please review the list of damage charges (PDF) that may be applied to your student account if your room has been damaged or furniture is damaged or missing.
Please note: HRC does not store residents’ belongings over the summer; however, Collegiate Bed Loft Company offers a summer storage option. See their website for more information.